Why Following Your Passion Is the Worst Kind of Career Advice
Standard advice on how to pick a career? Find one that amalgamates your key skills, interests and values. Alas, that too often doesn’t work.
The standard advice often fails for one or more of these reasons:
- You have too many interests but none stand out.
- You have many abilities but none stand out.
- You think you have no worthwhile abilities.
- You can’t come up with a career that amalgamates your skills, interests and values.
- You come up with too many careers that amalgamate your skills, interests and values.
- Your skills, interests and values are common, so you end up wanting a popular career, for example, ahem, journalist.
The irony is that even if you find a career that fits and you actually land a job in it, that’s far from a guarantor of career contentment. Let’s say you pick a popular career like the aforementioned journalist. Employers know that, with…
View original post 403 more words